Another year quickly goes by and I find myself celebrating another birthday (which beats the alternative!). I look back at my last birthday and remember so many things that use to get to me, that I have now learned were just simple stepping stones in life. So what have I come away with to start this new year?:
1) Laugh more often. It’s not always as bad as it seems.
2) Smile at others. Just a simple smile can brighten someones day.
3) Be thankful for what I have. So many are out there homeless and lonely. Be thankful that I have a roof over my head and friends and family that love me very much.
4) Don’t be so hard on myself. We all have our “bad” days and those days don’t last forever. Pray. Ask God for guidance and strength and always look forward, not behind.
5) Self Image. I am not perfect. As a matter of fact there are more imperfect people in this world then there are “perfect” ones. I may not like the way I look, but there is always someone who has it worse than I do.
6) Goals. Set mini goals and strive for them. When one is completed reward myself. Set medium time frame goals and long term goals. The bottom line is set goals which are achievable to feel good when the accomplishments are fulfilled.
7) Don’t complete a goal doesn’t mean to give up. Brush myself off and get back in the game.
8) Say ‘I love you” more to those that are close at heart. You never know what tomorrow may bring.
9) Remember those important dates in someone else’s life. Like birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, milestone dates. It takes just a minute to send a card or pick up the phone to let them know you are thinking of them.
10) Don’t pass up the little things in life. Some of the most beautiful discoveries are the most precious moments that quickly pass us.
11) Take a moment, daily, to thank God for all the greatness he has bestowed upon myself and my family.
12) Take better care of myself. Eat cleaner, workout, journal and reflect on the good things more often.
13) And most important, love myself. I often forget to do this because I am constantly criticizing myself. I am a child of God and I have a purpose. I may not know what that purpose is, but there is a reason I was made in his eyes. Everyday I shall start the day with three positive self reflections and end the day the same way.
This is just a list I have for myself, and others may find it helpful as well. Life is to short not to rejoice in the moment. If you have some other thoughts you live by, please share. I’d love to hear them.